Direct Service Professional (Care Partner)
Various Positions available:
- Full Time, Non-Exempt- 3-11, Must cook
- Part Time, Non-Exempt- 3-11, every other weekend
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: $16.00 per hour, $16.50 w/a $100 sign on bonus after 90 days
Location: Stillwater, Minnesota
Reports to: Care Director
Hope House of St. Croix Valley is a provider of Home and Community Based Services in Minnesota with a mission to provide people experiencing life changing health challenges access to compassionate care that respects their dignity and choices, is seeking multiple care partners for various shifts.
The purpose of this position is to provide daily direct care for resident adults living with HIV/AIDS and other disabilities. This position description covers the duties of a care partner with shifts during the day, evening and awake overnight hours. This position also provides operational support at the adult foster care facility during emergencies. This position requires extensive physical activity, as one care partner can provide direct care to four residents within the foster care facility.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide daily direct care to residents.
- Correctly and safely dispense oral medications, and administer subcutaneous medications, topical, sublingual, ear and eye medications.
- Correctly and safely operate all medical devices and equipment, including but not limited to motorized wheelchairs, mechanical bed lifts, oxygen canisters, and nebulizer machines.
- Perform activities of daily living (ADLs) which may include bathing, grooming, toileting transferring, turning bed bound residents and other personnel cares for residents.
- Perform blood glucose monitoring.
- Respond to medical emergencies.
- Provide wound care per physician orders.
- Provide emotional support to residents and their families with respect, dignity and compassion.
- Coordinate resident care with other agencies, including clinics, pharmacies, social workers, home care agencies, etc.
- Provide palliative care related services under order of a residence physician and in conjunction with hospice services.
- Communicate professionally and in a timely manner all pertinent information regarding resident’s physical and emotional condition both externally and internally while maintaining HIPAA privacy rule.
- Document appropriately in resident’s chart and medication charts on each assigned task.
- Assist residents with laundry, cooking, lifting/transferring residents and other physical tasks.
- Maintain a clean, safe, home-like environment by completing the Hope House Task List and other assigned organizational tasks.
- Respond to appropriate requests from resident families and friends.
- Complete all necessary documentation as required.
- Keep up-to-date on medical and psycho-social information on HIV/AIDS disease, including knowledge of ever-changing populations and rapidly evolving treatment options.
- Attend staff meetings, in-service trainings as scheduled.
- Practice appropriate infection control and universal precaution techniques.
- Understand and practice procedures to ensure resident confidentially.
- Understand and uphold the Vulnerable Adults Act and HIPPA regulations.
- Overnight Awake-Provide direct care to resident(s) as needed and monitoring every hour during shift.
- Ability to be part of the on-call rotation if/when requested.
- Coordinate resident(s)/household QOL (Quality of Life) activities with other staff or volunteer(s) in a collaborated manner.
- Follow Policy and Procedures outlined in the Hope House Personnel and Resident Handbook.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- One year in health or social service fields preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- CPR/First Aid Certification require; training provided to obtain certification.
- Medication Administration Certification required; training provided to obtain certification.
- Driver’s License, State ID or Passport.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and speak English sufficiently to communicate pertinent medical and social services to residents and to communicate with management and staff.
- Have a sensitivity and aptitude for working with individuals who may be formally homeless, come from Nursing/Mental Health facilities and are persons living with HIV/AIDS, mental illness, trauma, physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, and chemical health problems.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgement and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to perform physical jobs such as doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning in a home setting.
- Sufficient physical strength to safely lift/transfer residents without causing injury to self or resident.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; verbal and written.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries and practice self-care in a position that is confronted often with physical illness, mental illness, trauma and chemical abuse issues.
- Ability to maintain confidentially of resident information.
- Ability to take and pass Medication Certification training.
- Strong knowledge of emergency procedures and can stay calm in stressful situations.
- Cognitive ability to correctly and safely dispense medications and controlled substances
- Knowledge of and the manual dexterity to operate medical equipment safely.
- Must be able to relate professionally with residents, staff and volunteers.
- Must oversee the work of any volunteer(s) in house during your shift.
- Must have the emotional stability needed to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to use household appliances such as washer, dryer, stove, etc.
- Ability to use medical equipment such as glucometers, subcutaneous and intravenous injections devices, lancets, epi-pens, blood pressure cuffs, PD home dialysis (if applicable), wheelchairs, and hospital beds.
Hope House of St. Croix Valley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Hope House of St. Croix Valley is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employees professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive compensation package including a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health, Dental, Vision, 401k plan with match, FSA, Life, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Accident Insurance, EAP benefits and a generous PTO/Vacation policy plus eight paid holidays.
Hope House of St. Croix Valley values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people living with HIV/AIDS, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a Minnesota Department of Human Services criminal background study, a motor vehicle clearance, and a drug test.
As an essential health care provider, Hope House of St. Croix Valley follows all local, state and federal guidelines regarding COVID 19. Additionally, prior to an offer of employment, all candidates must show proof of vaccination for COVID 19.
To be considered for this position, please send a resume along with a cover letter outlining your qualification including examples of how you are developing your DEI-IQ to:
Hope House of St. Croix Valley
451 Everett Street, North
Stillwater, MN 55082
Resumes can also be forward to:
No Phone Calls Please
About Hope House of St. Croix Valley: After 30 years of serving people living with HIV in our foster care facility located in Stillwater, MN, Hope House is expanding operations beyond to include living in place services for individuals living with HIV, individuals aging and who identify as LGBTQAI+, and our neighbors and friends in the communities we serve. Our expansion growth depends on a dedicated team that is mission and vision focused and future-directed and wishes to challenge the status quo throughout Minnesota.
451 North Everett Street
Stillwater, MN 55082
Hope House of St. Croix Valley
451 Everett Street North
Stillwater, MN 55082
P: (651) 351-0907 | F: (651) 351-9510
Hope House of St. Croix Valley provides people experiencing life-changing health challenges access to compassionate care that respects their dignity and choices.
Hope House of St. Croix Valley envisions a future where all people have access to programs and services to live their best life.
Connect with Us
© 2021 Hope House. All rights reserved.